Devise your own performance in response to the BMI’s space, history and resources
BMI Live is designed to encourage young artists and performers to devise original literature shows and generate new responses to The Birmingham and Midland Institute.
This is an artist-led project, an opportunity to create more performances and platforms in Birmingham – a youth-led, innovative showcase which will eventually take its place among the strongest cultural offerings in the city.
The shows will aim to present the following ideas:
- Work that explores themes of history, architecture, education, exclusion and diversity in Birmingham
- Work that can be performed around the BMI in response to our unique space
- Work that considers or includes its audiences
We are open to various forms of work including short stories, poetry, spoken word, and drama.
We are looking for artists and performers in need of a new audience and/or space, and we are happy to support you as you prepare for the shows.
The selected performers will work alongside our Creative Director Roy McFarlane, Project Leaders Amerah Saleh and Jo Delyse Packwood, and mentor Rick Sanders to decide on a format, space, timings and design for the shows.
We will give space for free to the Creators Group when they need it. We expect them to meet once a week during the project, with extra rehearsal time leading up to the final performance. We are committed to providing any assistance necessary so that our Creators Group can participate, i.e. contributions to travel expenses, new materials for study, rehearsal space.
What We Need
- You must be 16 – 30 years old
- You must be available on Wednesday 20th February for an ideation session on the show
- You must be available on Thursday 28th February for a final session about the show
- You must be available for regular rehearsals (ideally once a week)
- Your work must be accessible and open to all audiences
- You will be available during May 2019 for the final shows – date TBC in conjunction with you
What You Get
- A chance to share your work at the BMI with free rehearsal and performance space, in collaboration
- A conversation about your future work as an artist and the support that BMI could give you
- A chance to work towards a final product and a sharing with a live audience
- We are interested in ambitious work which responds to our Grade II listed building.
- We are particularly seeking work which blends responses to our space, history and resources (including rare collections of classic poetry) with the contemporary spoken word.
- We envisage this group finding a home here, utilising creative spaces/resources and delivering regular live literature showcases, working with Artists in Residence, Presidents and cultural partners.
By capturing the imaginations of a fresh, eclectic group of people, connecting them with outstanding artists and supporting them to make an innovative performance, we aim reinvigorate our cultural offering and bring great art to audiences from across Birmingham and beyond.